~ Drew's Smallmouth Bass
5 lbs.-21 inches
PAN FRIED SMALLMOUTH BASS FILLETS
~ A feisty warrior, challenging to catch, and sweet to eat.
2 1/2 lbs. bass fillets
1/4-1/2 cup buttermilk
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup Drake's Crispy Frymix*
sprinkle garlic powder
1 tsp. sea salt
freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (basil, oregano & parsley)
- Rinse cleaned fillets well and pat dry. Place in glass dish.
- Combine buttermilk and cayenne. Pour over fish. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine Drake's crispy fry mix, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet, preferably cast iron.
- Lift bass from buttermilk and dredge in fry mix, shaking off excess. Drop into hot oil and butter and fry on each side until golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- Add lemon juice and herbs to skillet, adding more butter if needed. Heat and serve over bass.
* "Drake’s Batter Mix Company was founded in 1937 by Al Drake, originator of Drake’s Krispy Fry Mix in Grass Lake, Michigan and was the first batter mix commercially manufactured in the United States ..." To read more and find cripsy recipes, visit ...
REDSKINS SMOTHERED in SWEET BUTTER & SOUR CREAM
~ These potatoes are good with just about anything!
2 1//2 - 3 lbs. (small to medium) scrubbed redskin potatoes
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup sour cream
handful of chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Quarter scrubbed redskins and carefully add to pot. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and return to pan. Shake to evaporate moisture. Add butter and gently mix. Add salt & pepper, sour cream and fresh herbs.