~ Delicious bistro-style steak known as 'onglet' adapted from
PEDALING THROUGH PROVENCE COOKBOOK
2 lbs. skirt steak (or flank steak)
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. herbs de Provence
1 Tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
8 Tbsp. room temperature unsalted butter
8 drained and coarsely chopped anchovy fillets
1/4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped imported black olives
1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme blossoms (in bloom) or finely chopped leaves
- Prepare grill.
- Place steak on platter and rub on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly on both sides with herbes of Provence, rosemary, salt & pepper. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare anchovy-olive butter. Place butter in small bowl. Add anchovies and mash with fork. Blend in olives and thyme.
- Grill steak roughly 3-4 minutes per side for fare to medium-rare. Divide steak into four servings and top immediately with generous dollop of anchovy-olive butter. (4 servings)
OVEN ROASTED RATATOUILLE
~ A simple taste of Provence
1 minced clove garlic
3 large thinly sliced onions
4 seeded and quartered assorted colored roasted* peppers
(green, red, orange & yellow)
1 medium 1/4-inch sliced eggplant (Japanese preferable)
2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
3 small 1/4-inch sliced zucchini
2 small 1/4-inch sliced yellow squash
5-6 garden fresh sliced fat Roma tomatoes
coarse salt & coarsely cracked pepper
additional extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup slivered fresh basil
- * In 450-degree oven, roast pepper halves on foil-lined sheet, cut side down, about 15 minutes or until skin loosens. Cool slightly, peel and chop. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salt over zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant. Let rest for 30 minutes and squeeze out excess water.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in flameproof casserole or large oven-proof skillet. Saute garlic, being careful not to burn. Add onions and cook until translucent. Lift and set aside.
- Layer following vegetables alternately back into casserole or large skillet until all vegetable have been used. Salt & pepper each layer.
- First, sauteed onions & garlic, then roasted peppers, eggplant, sliced garlic, zucchini and yellow squash, and sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with additional olive oil. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and slivered basil.
- Roast lightly covered with foil at 350-degrees for 1 hour or until paring knife tests tender. Let juices rest at least 5 minutes before serving. (Even more delicious eaten the next day).
Note: For the 'authentic' version of REMY'S RATATOUILLE
(Thomas Keller's CONFIT BYALDI)
featured in the delightful Disney movie, RATATOUILLE, visit: