- Combine lemonade concentrate, fresh lemon juice, zest, soy sauce, celery seed, garlic and fresh pepper.
- Marinate chicken in large plastic bag or large container for several hours in refrigerator, turning often.
- Let rest at room temperature while grill fires up. Remove chicken and grill over medium coals for 30 minutes, basting with sauce the final 30 minutes.
- Combine cabbage, carrots, red pepper, onion, black olives, basil and fresh pepper.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss. (8 servings)
FROZEN 'CREAMSICLE' CAKE
~ Refreshing summer dessert adapted from
'The Ultimate Grilling Issue' Gourmet (June 2002)
16 finely ground shortbread cookies (eg. Lorna Doone)
2 tsp. finely grated fresh orange zest
2 tsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1 heaping cup slightly softened orange sorbet or sherbet
1 heaping cup slightly softened good vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
finely julienned fresh orange zest for garnish
fresh mint leaves
- Line a 3-1/2 x 7-1/2 (3-1/2 cup) loaf pan with double layer of plastic wrap, allowing a few inches to overhang.
- Melt butter and let cool. Combine cookie crumbs, zest, butter and corn syrup in small bowl. Press mixture into bottom of of pan.
- Spread sorbet or sherbet over crumb crust and freeze 30 minutes.
- Spread softened ice cream or yogurt evenly over first layer of sorbet (sherbet). Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Using excess wrap on sides of pan, lift frozen cake and peel off plastic. Garnish with orange zest and mint leaves. Let rest 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 4 slices.