- Cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain and toss with olive oil.
- While pasta is cooking melt butter in a large pot. Saute chopped scallions and garlic cloves until scallions are tender but not browned. Add 2 cups dry white wine and salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a rapid boil and add the clams and parsley. Cover the kettle and cook the clams, shaking the pan frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the shells are opened. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Divide pasta among bowls and top with seafood mixture and juices. Top with chopped fresh basil and Brown Butter Soda Bread. (6 servings)
BROWN BUTTER SODA BREAD
~ Rosemary and black pepper give this delicious bread a different twist (from Bon Appetit - Feb.'06)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper plus additional for topping
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 beaten to blend egg white
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Position rack in center.
- Stir butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until melted and golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir flour, oats, sugar, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 3/4 tsp. pepper in large bowl to blend. Pour buttermilk and melted browned butter over flour mixture; stir with fork until flour mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough onto floured work surface. Knead gently until dough comes together, about 7 turns. Divide i half. Shape each half into ball; flatten each into 6-inch round.
- Place rounds on ungreased baking sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Brush tops with beaten egg white. Sprinkle lightly with ground black pepper. Using small sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch deep 'X' in top of each round.
- Bake breads until deep golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool on rack at least 30 minutes. Serve wedges warm or at room temperature with plenty of butter.