~ Alex Levin
MURPHY'S IRISH COFFEE
~ a healthy jigger of Brandy
(Brian's claim to smoothness instead of Irish whiskey)
freshly brewed rich black coffee
1 healthy tsp. brown sugar
1 healthy jigger Brandy (or Irish whiskey)
fresh whipping cream
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
freshly grated nutmeg, chocolate or cinnamon
- In chilled bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar & vanilla. Continue whipping until medium-firm peaks forms.
- Warm Irish coffee glass in hot water. Wipe dry. Pour brandy (or Irish whiskey) & brown sugar into the glass and stir. Slowly pour fresh coffee filling the glass to within half an inch or so from top of glass. Carefully top with whipped cream. Garnish with grated fresh nutmeg, chocolate shavings or cinnamon. Toast loved ones and enjoy sipping through the rich cream. (Thanks Brian!)
BAILEYS CHOCOLATE CREAM CAKE
~ Feisty combination of chocolate, whipped cream and Baileys Irish Cream from tattered Bon Appetit (March 1984)
1 12-oz. package semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 separated room temperature eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 Tbsp. Baileys Irish Cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of cream of tartar
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. Baileys Irish Cream
2 oz. chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Grease and flour 10-inch springform pan. Melt chocolate chips and butter in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Beat yolks in large bowl until very thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Stir in melted chocolate, pecans, liqueur and vanilla.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Gently fold 1/4 of whites into chocolate mixture, then fold chocolate mixture back into remaining whites. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275-degrees and continue baking 30 minutes. Turn off oven; let cake stand i oven for 30 minutes with door ajar.
- Remove cake from oven. Dampen paper towel and place on top of cake for 5 minutes; remove towel (top of cake will crack and fall). Cool cake in pan.
- Remove springform. Transfer cake to platter. Beat whipping cream in large bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in powdered sugar and liqueur. Soon whipped cream onto top of cake and smooth evenly. Sprinkle with chocolate curls. Refrigerate 6 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. (12 servings)
- Note: Delicious served with Irish Coffee Ice Cream (minus the whipped cream)
IRISH COFFEE ICE CREAM
~ Rather then traditional 'hot' Irish coffee, try this easy spirited 'cold' novelty ... or you could choose both!
1 quart coffee ice cream
6 Tbsp. instant espresso coffee
6 Tbsp. Irish whiskey
1 cup whipped cream
Dissolve coffee in Irish whiskey and stir into soften coffee ice cream. Refreeze. Serve in glass parfaits topped with whipped cream and chocolate curls.