Friday, March 21, 2008

MOONSHINE RULES ~ 'MOON PLANTING'

"Don't plant seed too soon,
Consult the moon."
~ Nicholas Culpepper
(English herbalist)

Snow Crust Moon

Bebookwaadaagame-giizis(oog)
~ Ojibwe
___________

"If you with flowers would stick the pregnant earth
Mark well the moon proportions to their birth,
For earth the silent midnight green obeys
And waits her course, who clad in silver rays
The eternal round of time and seasons guides."

(The English Gardener)
The Moon ~ Myth, Magic and Fact

5 comments:

Katarina said...

I must admit I did not consult the moon - I've planted my seeds too early. The Sweet peas are 20 centimeters tall already and we have winter for the moment with plenty of snow...
Happy Easter! /Katarina

GMG said...

I'm not planting, but if I was I would follow your advice... ;)
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, where I finished my Greek Islands 2006 adventure with a post on Cretan Towns!
Enjoy the Easter Eggs and have a great weekend!
Gil

Connie said...

My Grandpa always planted by the moon, and he was an excellent gardener/farmer.

Catherine said...

My grandparents also planted by the moon!! I like the (English Gardener) quote!! I thought about you friday night while I was outside taking pictures of the full moon ~I wondered if you were out doing the same thing over that
gorgeous Hubbard Lake! :)
Hug's,
Cat

joey said...

Katarina, Gil, Connie & Cat ... I'm ashamed to say that although I grew up in a rich furtile valley where farmers did consult my beloved moon, I have never taken the advice either :( I simply searched for a quote and topic to compliment my full March moon photo ;)