1 Pillsbury crescent roll package
1 lb. trimmed asparagus
3-4 chopped shallots
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup half & half
4 large organic eggs
scant pinch coarse salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (1 tsp. dried)
2 cup crumbled goat cheese
additional thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Press crescent roll slices to fit deep dish quiche pan. Flute edges, brush bottom with Dijon mustard and set aside.
- Slice asparagus diagonally, 1/2 inch pieces. Reserve tips. Plunge in boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Saute shallots in butter until wilted. Add asparagus and cook gently about 3 minutes. Cool slightly and spread over bottom of crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup of goat cheese.
- Whisk eggs, half & half, thyme and salt & pepper. Pour over asparagus and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and fan asparagus spears decoratively over top. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
CARROT PECAN COFFEE CAKE with PRALINE STREUSEL
~ this perennial favorite returns each spring
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. mace
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup softened unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
4 large organic eggs
2 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Generously grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Make the streusel: In a large bowl, combine flour & sugar. Cut in butter until size of small peas. Add pecans and toss to mix.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl, sift together the fours, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, mace & nutmeg. In another bowl cream butter & sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in carrots. Add dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Fold in pecans. Turn batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with streusel. Bake for about 50 minutes or until it tests done with toothpick. Cool 10 minutes before removing sides. Serve warm or at room temperature. (12-14 servings)
~ holiday favorite
1 large chilled can drained pineapple chunks
1 (11-oz.) chilled can drained mandarin oranges
1 cup sour cream
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup coconut
Mix together and chill before serving. When serving, refresh with additional fresh coconut.