Tuesday, September 16, 2008

AFTER THE RAIN ~ 'CLOUDS IN MY COFFEE' MOCHA VELVET TORTE

"Clouds in my coffee"
are the confusing aspects of life and love.
That which you can't see through,
and yet seems alluring...until.
Like a mirage that turns into a dry patch.
Perhaps there is something in the bottom of the coffee cup
that you could read if you could (like tea leaves or coffee grinds).


~ Clouds in my coffee
____________________
MOCHA VELVET TORTE
~ Heavenly rich, truffle-like EASY dessert and, like clouds, always a delight
(from a December 1992 issue of Southern Living)
*
1 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
1 1/2 cups melted unsalted butter
6 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Ganache Cream
  • Preheat oven to 225-degrees. Grease bottom of 9-inch springform pan; line with greased waxed paper and set aside.
  • Dissolve coffee granules in boiling water. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved; set aside.
  • Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add chocolate morsels. Process 1 1/2 minutes or until finely chopped, stopping once to scrape down sides. Pour coffee mixture through food chute with processor running, stopping once to scrape down sides. Pour butter through food chute with processor running. Add eggs, one at at a time, through food chute, pulsing after each addition. Add vanilla and pulse once again.
    Pour into prepared pan and bake at 225-degrees for 2 1/2 hours or until slightly firm to touch. Cool completely on wire rack.
  • Run knife around edge; release sides of springform pan. Invert torte onto 8-inch cardboard round and place on rack over shallow pan. Pour Ganache Cream over top and sides, covering completely. Chill 8 hours. Garnish with chocolate leaves (if you feel the need) and chocolate-covered coffee beans (from Trader Joe's).

GANACHE CREAM:

1 cup whipping cream
2 (4-oz) packages bittersweet chocolate, chopped and divided
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter, divided

Combine whipping cream and two-thirds of chocolate in double boiler. Bring to boil & reduce heat to low. Cook until chocolate melts, stirring often. Remove from heat. Add remaining chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth. Add one-third of butter, beating until butter melts & mixture is smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining butter. Let cool until mixture is slightly thickened and of pouring consistency. If mixture becomes too thick, reheat in double boiler over simmering water.

7 comments:

Jane O' said...

Here you are pressing my chocolate button again and tempting me. Wow, this sounds good.
And how did you know to pair it up with Carly Simon, one of my favorties. Well, I really love her ex, James Taylor, but that's another story.

Anonymous said...

Nice capture of clouds in your coffee! :) Your recipe sounds sinfully good!

RURAL said...

You have me floating on a cloud. What a great start to my morning.
Gorgeous photos. I tried the mosaic maker, and after all the effort, and downloading, I realized that I had 2 of the same pics in it. Yours always look so wonderful. I must try again.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Wonderful mosaic of clouds this morning Joey & the Mocha Velvet Torte recipe sounds delish!

marmee said...

great looking clouds!
i try to stay away from things like this but it sounds wonderful.
joey i have a question. i tried to make a photoge' like you and succeeded but it wouldn't post to my blog. i need help. you can email me if you can help me figure it out.
thanks, marmee
rosebudn6@aol.com

Marysol said...

Joey, my daughter Sam loves mocha anything, and so do I. We'll be making and enjoying this one while visions of your clouds (and Carly Simon?) dance in our heads

joey said...

Jane Marie ~ sittin' and waitin' for posts to show, nibble on this rich chocolate treat (a little goes a long way)! With our crazy weekend rain, I was a bit 'crazed' finding clouds in my morning coffee. Naturally, the song brewed in my head trying to capture the moment ;)

It's sinfully delightful, Nancy. Fun trying to capture the clouds ...

Thanks Jen. I often find duplicates but ... who cares or notices. Just have fun ;)

Thanks P.G. ~ the dessert it worth each sinful bite.

Hi Marmee ... forget the dessert until tomorrow. I sent you an e-mail. Let me know how it goes ;)

With your gift in the kitchen, Marysol, this recipe will be a breeze to make for Sam. (I always keep a favorite flourless cake in the freezer for unexpected guests ... so do drop in).