Tuesday, September 30, 2008

FAREWELL 'SWEET' SEPTEMBER ~ CARAMELIZED ONION MAC & CHEESE / ROASTED LEMON CAULIFLOWER

"I trust in Nature for the stable laws of beauty and utility.
Spring shall plant and Autumn garner to the ends of time."

~ Robert Browning

~ Outdoor anthurium

___________________
CARAMELIZED ONION MAC & CHEESE
~ Delicious twist on old favorite adapted from Southern Living (September 2006)
______________
1 8-oz. package large elbow macaroni
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 thinly sliced large onions
1 lb. shredded white cheddar
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
32 finely crushed Ritz crackers
6 large organic eggs
4 cups milk
1 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
  • Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and 1 tsp. sugar. Cook, stirring often, 15-20 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored.
  • Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with half each of cooked macaroni, onions, cheeses, and cracker crumbs. Continue with remaining macaroni, onions, and cheeses.
  • Whisk together eggs, milk, salt & white pepper. Pour over macaroni mixture.
  • Stir together remaining cracker crumbs, melted butter and chopped pecans. Sprinkle evenly over macaroni mixture.
  • Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. (8 servings)

~ Toad Lily (Tricyrtis)

______________

ROASTED LEMON CAULIFLOWER

1/2 cup finely chopped shallots

1/4 cup melted unsalted butter

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

2 minced cloves garlic

1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind

1 tsp. coarse salt

freshly ground pepper to taste

1 large cored head cauliflower

  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place cauliflower on top.
  • Combine shallots, butter, parsley, garlic, lemon rind, salt & pepper. Drizzle over cauliflower. Bring sides of foil to top and seal edges.
  • Bake for 1 hour or until tender. (6 servings)



10 comments:

RURAL said...

I lovvvve cauliflower, and am going to try and make this recipe in the next few days. Lovely shots of the toad lily! Everything is always beautiful.
Jen

beckie said...

Joey, your toad lilies are beautiful! They are on my wish list for next year. Can't wait to try the cauliflower. We love it and are always looking for new ways to fix it.

joey said...

Hi Jen and thanks ... just got home after 10 days away, much to catch up on including visiting you ;)

Thanks Beckie ... I love my variegated toad lilies. Though late to bloom, certainly worth waiting for. They are most easy ... do get some for next year! (I have plenty to share if Thelma & Louise hit the dusty trail ... remember, I also have tons of turtlehead ;)

Rose said...

Joey, Hope you had a good vacation! Your toad lilies are lovely; like Beckie, these are going on my wish list. I love macaroni and cheese as well as cauliflower; I'll have to give these recipes a try.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Joey...it's late and I'm off to bed starving thanks to you :-) I just have to try those recipes.LOL Tyra

Anonymous said...

Your Toadlilies are gorgeous Joey. And the first group of pictures are Calla Lilies, right? I love homemade Mac & Cheese, the carmelized onions are a nice touch. It is my ideal of comfort food for a cool rainy day!

joey said...

Hi Rose and thanks, it was wonderful stepping out of my shoes for a moment. Do grab Beckie and come, trowel in hand, since I have many of your favorites I would love to share ;)

That's how I feel visiting you, Tyra, wishing I could savor my coffee/tea in your lovely 'piece of heaven'.

Dearest P.G. ~ love my toad lilies, late to bloom but adorable when they finally arrive. Though anthurium look like calla or peace lilies, they are from another family (click on their name above for more info). They vacation outside in summer then return indoors as a houseplant throughout the cooler months (this plant has been with me for over 2 years).

Anonymous said...

Joey, I absolutely love every single image of your Toad Lilies. And I just realized there's no way I can pronounce its botanical name (Tricyrtis) without sounding drunk.
But it is a lovely lily, just the same.

And thanks for another tempting recipe, my friend.

Cindy said...

Mmmmmm, roasted cauliflower is so good. I am going to have to try this version. I bet the lemon rind really adds a nice twist.

joey said...

Marysol, you always make me smile! I wait patiently for my dear toad lilies to bloom, whose tiny sweet faces also make me smile. Not much happening in my waning garden but a few surprises always await me ;)

I love roasted cauliflower, Cindy. You can also break apart and roast tossed with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Finish with a touch of lemon juice and fresh lemon zest. (I also love lemons!). Yum!