Thursday, September 04, 2008

A HINT OF AUTUMN IN THE AIR (THANK YOU HURRICANE GUSTAV FOR 'COZY' SEPTEMBER RAIN) / APPLE PECAN MUFFINS

"The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain. This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam and look out the streaked window with complacency."

(England For All Seasons)

~ Good reading for 'cozy' rainy days
(A peek out 'streaked' window at beloved Oakleaf Hydrangea)
_____________________
APPLE PECAN MUFFINS
~ A treat to nibble on a 'cozy' rainy day ... don't forget the cup of tea
____________
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large organic egg
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (and zest of lemons)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely grated peeled Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease muffin tin.
  • Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into medium bowl.
  • Whisk sugar, oil, eggs, lemon juice, zest and vanilla in large bowl. Mix in dry ingredients, then apples and toasted pecans.
  • Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup. Bake about 35 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Turn muffins onto rack; cool slightly. Serve warm. (about 12)

__________

"And a little fall of rain ...

And rain

Will make the flowers

Grow. "

~ Eponine (Les Miserables )

__________________________

Gardener's Note: Late summer and autumn rain is nature's way of nurturing plants and trees so they can manage to make it through a long and often difficult winter.


9 comments:

Rose said...

We are enjoying the benefits of Gustav today, too. Curling up in bed with a good book sounded like a good idea, but I used the time to do some baking and make applesauce from some of my apples. I think I have enough apples to make enough applesauce for an army:)

A clever collage of great books!

Beautiful sunflowers on yesterday's post.

beckie said...

A lovely quote, Joey and excatly what I would have liked to do today. We had the soft, cozy rain all day. Those books-some I've read and some not make a wonderful border for your beautiful hydrangea. Can't wait to try the muffins. Apples and pecans...can't beat the taste combination. And I would think a big batch could be made to enjoy some now and freeze some for later.

joey said...

Thanks Rose ~ we really needed the rain! Your family is SO lucky ... I seriously smelled the applesauce bubbling on the stove while reading your comment! I baked instead of reading today also (mocha flourless chocolate cake ~ entertaining another flock of lake guests ... my sister's dear friends flying in from 4 corners of U.S. who have not yet seen her since her illness and loss of vision). Should be fun ... have a lovely weekend and don't overwork ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Joey, your weekend will be blessed. I hope you hear your sister's laughter through your heart so it will fill you with gladness.

Making apples is a nesting and comfort kind of activity. Loved your collage today with books and hydrangea. I'm longing for some rain too. I tired to log on to our weather channel just now. It must be busy with Hannah coming our way.

I give the best hugs so I wish I was going to be there to give one to you and your sister. Not to mention have some apple muffins. I want a lot of brown sugar glaze drizzled over the top.

joey said...

Hi Beckie and thanks. I love the combo, apples and nuts ! (Stuff some of Rose's plump apples in your pockets when you visit, sounds like she has plenty to share)

joey said...

Thanks for your blessings, dear Anna. I heading north, excited to see the gals myself, it's been ages and my sister is so excited. Lots of activites and food planned at our cottage. Do hope weather co-operates. Stay safe ~ hope Hannah's visit is brief and fleeting. Hugs ;)

chey said...

You have the greatest recipes. I'm not a baker, but they make me want to get into my kitchen:).

We've had rain since mid July~ the grass is greener now than it was in the spring. Quite amazing.

joey said...

Hi Chey and thanks. Try some of the grilling recipes for your salmon catch! Summer rain was fine until August; the garden welcomed relief. Your lucky to be green!

joey said...

The smell of apples and cinnamon indeed speaks of autumn. Nancy. It's great having current posts visible again on Blotanical ~ was unaware until you brought it to my attention. Big thanks!