Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SWEET LIFE ~ OAKLEAF HYDRANGEA / PEAR NUT BREAD with LEMON MINT BUTTER

"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else."
~ Emily Dickinson

~ Early life


~ 'In the now'

~ Tomorrow's joy

_________

"The Oakleaf hydrangea is a dramatic, white-blooming shrub with four seasons of interest. It blooms best in areas where summers are somewhat hot, but it is winter hardy farther north than the macrophylla (mophead). A tremendous advantage of the Oakleaf is that it can thrive in much dryer locations than its cousins. Mopheads struggle in my sandy soil, but the Oakleaf hydrangeas thrive with very little attention."

______________________


PEAR NUT BREAD with LEMON MINT BUTTER
~ A hint of autumn is in the air ... enjoy this favorite 'fiber' treat while pears are 'sweet' and at their peek.
____________
2 fresh ripened pears
2 large beaten organic eggs
1 cup bran
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. soda
1/4 cup soft shortening or sweet butter
1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios)
  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • Core and finely chop unpeeled pears to measure 1 1/4 cup. Combine beaten eggs and bran. Sift dry ingredients. Add shortening and pear mixture until moist. Add toasted nuts. Turn into greased loaf pan. Let stand 20 minutes.
  • Bake for 1 hour, adding 10-15 minutes depending on oven. Allow to stand 10 minutes. Serve warm slathered with Lemon Mint Butter.

LEMON MINT BUTTER

Cream 1 cup unsalted butter with 1 tsp. lemon peel and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, LOVE that bottom photo through the window! Beautiful. And you always have such wonderful recipes...they all make me drool. :)

Gina said...

I haven't come across this hydrangea before..it's so lovely and sounds well suited to our conditions!
The pear nut bread sounds so good..thanks for sharing such wonderful things Joey! Gxx

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shots Joey. I like the view through the window too. Oakleaf Hydrangea is on my wishlist. Now I just have to figure out where I could put it. :)Your Pear Nut bread w/Lemon Mint butter sounds like a wonderful fall breakfast or treat.

Anonymous said...

Me too! That window shot is something else! If my windows weren't so dirty (and have to have the storm windows removed to clean them), I would try this. But alas, there is not much to view but the garden home brick wall next door.
Brenda

beckie said...

The seasons of the oakleaf hydrangea are beautiful! Like the others, my favorite is the view from the window. Almost makes you glad that fall is coming. Pear bread-yumm! will try that with the little girls.

Anonymous said...

I was at Macy's tonight looking at the pretty Martha Stewart do dads for the kitchen and thought of you. You have written about many things I would like to fix in my kitchen. They are pretty and yummy. I found the perfect plate for your blueberry pie!

Hugs to ya and the photos are beautiful.

Cindy said...

Those pictures are great and the bread sounds divine. I'll have to try it, although it will only use up two of my many pears.

Rose said...

The last photo is beautiful, Joey; I guess I have plenty of company in admiring it. I became infatuated by the macrophyllas, particularly the Endless Summer, that those are the only hydrangeas I have. I realize now that the other types, such as the oakleaf would probably do much better in my garden. The Idea Garden that Beckie and I have visited several times has one that is probably 7-8 feet tall.

Sorry I haven't been around the last few days--computer problems have made it difficult for me to keep up with blog reading. I loved the cloud photos, and I recognized the title phrase from Carly Simon right away. One of my favorite songs:)

joey said...

Thanks Nancy ... you know you are a gal after my own heart!

Gina ... would love to know if you are successful growing hydrangeas in your enchanting world. Hugs dear friend.

P.G. ~ love comments through your gifted eye!

Brenda ... please know that photo was taken last fall after whisking windows clean. But I so love my Oakleaf through my library window (clean or smudged).

Hugs thoughtful, Anna ... a joy to know and so much like me, finding gifts for those you love. My drawers are filled with do-dads but can always find room for more (a sore spot with hubby stuffing those 'must haves' away').

Oh Cindy ... I love pears and have many recipes to share. Stay tuned!

Unknown said...

Oakleaf hydrangeas are some of my favorites... and this "pear nut bread" recipe is a must-try. I'm drooling just thinking about it!