Saturday, September 13, 2008

'Y-IKE-S! IT'S RAINING, IT'S POURING ... CHOCOLATE MUD PIE

"Listen to the falling rain,
Listen to it fall."
~ Afternoon downpour
_________________
CHOCOLATE MUD PIE
~ Don't wail till it rains to enjoy this longtime retro-favorite
________________
Crust:
1 (8 1/2 oz.) box crushed chocolate wafers
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Combine crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
Fudge Sauce:
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine cocoa, sugar, cream and butter in 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat until smooth and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool completely.
Filling and Topping:
1 quart good coffee ice cream (softened)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp. powered sugar
1 Tbsp. Kahlua
cocoa
1/4 cup toasted silvered almonds
  • Spread 1/2 cup Fudge Sauce evenly over baked cooled baked cookie crust. Top with softened ice cream. Spread evenly over crust. Top with remaining Fudge Sauce and chill several hours.
  • Whip cream with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Add Kahlua and whip until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over frozen pie. Dust with cocoa and top with toasted almonds. Freeze until ready to serve.

~ September garden in the rain





"Listen to the falling rain,
Listen to it fall.
It's raining,
It's pouring,
The old man is snoring,
Went to bed
And bumped his head,
He couldn't get up in the morning,
Listen to the falling rain,
Listen to the rain."

(Thank you Jose for this wonderful song that rang continually though my head while photographing and posting.)


14 comments:

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

very amusing, Joey. Like the song and sentiment ! It's pouring buckets here as well. My rain gauge has overflowed at more than 6 inches.

More of the same tomorrow. Oh well, I think it's making up for the dry August we had.

I am NOT looking at that scrumptious chocolate recipe ( Devil get behind me ! )

RURAL said...

Joey, such a beautiful collection of photos. It makes me feel bad to tell you that we are enjoying lovely sunshine, maybe we can send some your way.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Cute post today Joey. I love the pictures of your garden in the rain. Thanks for the delicious recipe too. :)

joey said...

We're blessed, Carolyn, not too much (like Ike) but just enough to cover August draught. You made me chuckle ... Flip Wilson's voice shouted through me as I grabbed a spoon and dug into hubby's Creme Brulee last night. Wiping satisfied lips I smugly said, "The Devil made me do it!" (Big thanks, now you have me singing Bob Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain' ... tomorrow's post perhaps?)

Kind Jen, enjoy your sunshine (Into each life some rain must fall, some days be dark and dreary. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) I'm laughing since this day seems to be about songs and quotes. Rainy days are wonderful also! hugs

Thanks P.G. ... we both are blessed with a gift of humor. Do consider Spaz cast in cement (an honor for such a ham).

Anonymous said...

I love a good downpour. :) Your recipe, as usual, looks delicious!

beckie said...

Okay Joey, I am trying to diet! actually have made this before and it is sooo yummy-but then it would have to be because it is so chocolatey. Your garden in the rain is lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jane O' said...

I'm a true chocoholic! I haven't had this in a long time, almost forgot about it. So forget about the diet, I have all of the ingredients in the cupboard! And it's still raining! I must bake or cook something -- it might as well be pie.

joey said...

I love a rainy day, Nancy ... it was indeed enjoyable. Thanks.

You are not alone, Beckie. This is NOT a low calorie dessert and hard not to sample more than a forkful. The garden is certainly waning but most thankful for the soaking rain. I lost a Golden Mop Threadleaf Cypress in the August draught ;(

I think all must have this vintage dessert clipped somewhere, Jane Marie. Sometimes we forget 'oldies are goodies' ~ a perfect choice for this hot humid 80s day. Enjoy!

Cindy said...

That sounds so yummy. I will file it away for when it is good and hot though. Although my husband would love it anytime!
Your pictures are gorgeous too. I enjoyed them.

joey said...

Thanks Cindy ... Mud Pie IS good!

joey said...

Thanks Cindy ... Mud Pie IS good!

Marysol said...

Oh, I not only ogled the recipe, I saved it.

Joey, it also rained here for several days, and it finally stopped raining a few hours ago, but I'm okay with it. Love this time of year, don't you know ;-)

joey said...

A bit bittersweet for me, dear Marysol ... I love autumn but ... spring is in my heart. Enjoy the Mud Pie :) Stay dry (are you near)?

Anonymous said...

I love this post. It's elegant and comforting. Who doesn't like chocolate on a rainy day. I won't wait, I promise!