Wednesday, August 31, 2011

FAREWELL AUGUST ~ WHY WE GARDEN!

"There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling."

~ Mirabel Osler

_


LEMON THYME COOKIES

~ A treasured Michigan recipe from Woodland Herb Farm

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 cup unsalted butter

2 organic eggs

2 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1 tsp. cream of tartar

1/2 tsp. salt

zest of 1 lemon

3 Tbsp. dried lemon thyme

  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well.
  • Sift together flour, cream of tartar and salt.
  • Work flour mixture into other mixture until well blended. Stir in lemon zest and thyme. Chill overnight.
  • Roll into balls the size of small walnuts. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes. (About 3 1/2 dozen)

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Wonderful! It is hard to believe that August comes to an end, isn't it? This summer went by in a whir. Must be getting old. ;)

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

That's one very contented looking frog, he must've eaten all the cookies. I'm definitely trying these, I've been planting lemon thyme all year with wild abandon because the bees love the blooms. They won't mind if I take a little to dry it ;)

Kathleen said...

I would love to be munching on a few of these right now Joey! They sound scrumptious! Even better with thyme dried from the garden (note to self: plant that next year!)

Kala said...

And I am sad to see the month go. Although I think eating those cookies would make me happier! :)

Rick said...

Ain't THAT the truth ! (Mirabel Osler). Lovely phlox (?); I have 3 frogs in my pond that are about the same size as this one - I think it's been a good summer ;-)

lindalou said...

Mmmm...lemon thyme cookies. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Well Joey, I don't want to say goodbye to August just yet, but we have no choice. I'm not ready for this big cooldown, it's too soon!