Tuesday, August 09, 2011

AUGUST 'GRATEFUL HEART' GARDEN ~ LEMON PASTA with ROASTED SHRIMP

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart."

~ Celia Thaxter


'Old Garden Companions'
(Daisy/Purple Coneflower)


PURPLE PLEASURES
(Phlox, Purple Coneflowers, Dwarf Chinese Astile, Daylily)

Astilbe, hosta, Rose of Sharon, Hydrangea


LEMON PASTA with ROASTED SHRIMP
~ Summer friendly ... light/luscious adapted from Ina Garten

2 lbs. (peeled and deveined) large shrimp
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 lb. angel hair pasta

fresh chopped basil to taste
Grated Parmesan or fresh feta cheese to taste (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 400º and bring large pot of water to boil.
  • Place shrimp on baking sheet with olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well and spread over pan. Roast for 6-8 minutes, just until pink and cooked through.
  • While shrimp are roasting, melt butter and olive oil. Cook garlic until soft. Add lemon juice, zest and a touch of salt to taste. Add salt and a drizzle of olive oil to boiling water. Cook pasta al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain, reserving some cooking liquid.
  • Quickly toss pasta in butter/olive oil. Add roasted shrimp and 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid. Toss again adding fresh basil.
  • Serve hot topped with cheese. (6 servings)
Note: A good garden fresh salad and favorite summer wine makes the meal complete.

Daisy

Purple Coneflower

Garden Pleasures
(Phlox, White Coneflower)


Hardy Hibiscus
(Rose Mallow)



Ivy Geranium


"Summer's lease hath all too short a date."

~ William Shakespeare

12 comments:

Marysol said...

Hey there, my friend, I've missed you and your collages. I really like the textures you've added to these; I've been playing around with textures for a while, but the results are never quite as lovely as yours.

It is possible I might've left my artistic gene in my other pants :Þ

In any case, I'll just have to console myself with your awesome pasta dish!

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Joey, Lemon pasta with roasted shrimp. Now doesn't that sound delicious! I like the textural effects on your coneflower pictures. One flower I struggle to shoot is astilbe. Your photos of astilbe are really nice.

RURAL said...

Joey, everything sounds so good, roasted shrimp...pasta.

And then there are those gorgeous photos!

Love it all.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

imac said...

Lovely art work from you again Joey.

F Cameron said...

Delightful photos! Especially love the "purple pleasures" plants. Can't eat the shrimp, but love lemon pasta!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Shrimp is a favorite of mine in any form. I usually just buy it for myself since no one else in my family eats it. Your flowers are beautiful!

Eileen

joey said...

Dear Marysol ... thank you ... but ... hello .. you are a master! I bow to you and you creative eye behind the lens, dear friend.

Hi Jennifer and thank you. These dwarf Chinese astilbe, so close to the ground, are a challenge to shoot. Thankfully we are secluded enough so the neighbors can't see me crawling around on the ground :)

Thanks, dear Jen! The summer is flying by way too fast for me. How 'bout you!

BIG THANKS, i mac :)

You are a dear, Freda, and thank you. I do remember that you can't eat shrimp/shellfish ... so I will devour them for you :)

Thank you, Eileen. Shrimp is a staple in our diet ... so versatile ... love it!

Kala said...

Fantastic texture work Joey. And the shrimp and pasta recipe sounds so so good!

Nutty Gnome said...

We've just had this for tea Joey and it was delicious! I think it's going to become a family favourite if the comments are anything to go by! :)

joey said...

Thanks Kala :)

So happy, happy, that you enjoyed, dear Liz! Wish I could have been near to enjoy and taste your take/twist on the recipe ... :)

Nutty Gnome said...

Well I'll make it for you when you come to visit us Joey!!! :)

One said...

Your photos were gorgeous. Now, they are even better! I see you have been adding textures...