Sunday, August 03, 2008

'AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER' ~ BUTTERFLY & CONEFLOWER / DE'LIGHT'FUL LEMON TRIFLE

"Our love affair is a wondrous thing
That we'll rejoice in remembering ..."
~ words by Harold Adamson and Leo McCarey

DE'LIGHT'FUL LEMON TRIFLE
~ De 'light' ful somewhat 'guilt free' summer dessert ... indulge
____________________
1 angel food cake
1 (14-oz) can low-fat sweetened condensed mild
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
1 (8 oz.) carton lemon nonfat yogurt
1 8 oz. thawed container reduced-fat frozen whipped topping (divided)
1 hefty cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 hefty cup fresh blackberries or blueberries
1 hefty cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup lightly toasted flaked coconut
fresh mint springs
  • Cut cake into bite-size pieces and set aside.
  • Combine condensed milk, lemon juice, rind, and yogurt. Fold in 2 cups thawed whipped topping and set aside.
  • Place 1/3 of cake pieces in bottom of a 4 quart trifle bowl. top with 1/3 of lemon mixture. Top with strawberries. Repeat layers using remaining cake pieces, 1/3 lemon mixture, blackberries/blueberries. Repeat remaining cake pieces, remaining lemon mixture ending with raspberries.
  • Spread remaining whipped topping over raspberries; sprinkle with toasted coconut.
  • Cover and refrigerate 8 hours. Serve garnished with fresh mint sprigs.





9 comments:

Carol Soules said...

Oh yum!! I decided to buy myself a trifle dish this year and have been making various trifles all summer. This ones sounds de-lish!
I am just back from touring 4 private gardens in the Southern Berkshires and am chocked full of garden inspiration.... for another year!!
Hope your summer is going well.
Carol in Mass.
terranovadesign.blogspot.com

beckie said...

Delightful! The quote, the pictures and the recipe. I haven't made a trifle in a long time. This sound so good I am very tempted to try it. Thanks!

Rose said...

"An Affair to Remember" is one of my favorite movies, but then what woman didn't like that movie?:) This dessert sounds absolutely delicious and perfect for the summer when fresh fruit is in season. It's probably low in calories, too?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that photo is spectacular. Glad you commented. I tried yesterday to find your blog, as I'd accidentally deleted it. And forgot it was listed under your name. Drove myself crazy googling various ways to write The Village Voice to search!
Brenda

marmee said...

love the pics on an affair to remember!

Jane O' said...

This is all of my favorite flavors and fruits rolled into one-- along with angel food, sounds like a winner!! I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Another yummy delight and thank you. Thank you for such a beautiful way to tell us about your recipes. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Catherine said...

Joey, I love your first photo~it is pretty enough to be framed and hanging in a special place!
And the DE'LIGHT'FUL Lemon Trifle~sounds just that~ and just what I needed for the berries we've been picking~ made lots of jelly, & pies, crisps, & several cobblers..So, have been wanting something diffrent! And I have a new trifle bowl~I've been dying to use..now I have the perfect recipe..awww you are spoiling me with the Lemon desert's~ (:
((HUG'S))
CAT

joey said...

Happy Summer to you also, Carol. Your garden tour is delightful! Do put that new trifle bowl to good use and give this a try!

Like when would you have time to bake, Beckie? You are an angel and your plate is full. But when you do catch a moment, a forkful of this might just 'hit the spot'!

I'm still humming the tune, Rose! Reasonably lower in fat/calories than most trifles, it is a better choice (depending on if you can put down the fork!)

Missed both you and your keen sense of humor, Brenda. Thanks for connecting again ... I am never far away ... simply GOOGLE my name or THE VILLAGE VOICE and I will appear!

Welcome marmee ... and BIG THANKS.

Knowing you are health conscious, Janie Marie, I think you will like this. Bite for bite, it considerably less heavy than most trifles (which also have their place since I have many posted as favorites)

Thank you, Anna. I feel your warm words and healing prayers.

Thanks bunches, dear Cat ... I can smell those delighful flavors drifing across the miles. How fun to sit beside you in your kitchen or garden/greehouse and savor the taste! No one would enjoy it more :)