3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
juice from 1 fresh lemon (reserve zest)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/4 lb.)
2 California avocados
8 cups romaine (cut crosswise into 1/2 inch wide slices)
6 chopped crisp bacon slices
3 seeded and cut (1/2 inch pieces) fresh tomatoes
3-4 oz. crumbled Roquefort cheese
2 bunches stemmed watercress
2 (forced through sieve) hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
zest of 1 lemon
- DRESSING: Whisk together all dressing ingredients except oil. Add oil in slow stream until emulsified.
- SALAD: Bring 5 cups water to simmer in 2-quart saucepan; simmer chicken, uncovered, 6 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to cutting board and cool completely. Cut int 1/2- inch cubes.
- Halve, pit, and peel avocados and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- spread romaine over bottom of 6-8 quart glass bowl. Top with even layer of chicken. Sprinkle bacon over chicken and layer with tomatoes, cheese (to taste), avocados, watercress, eggs, chives, and lemon zest.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss; or allow guests to dish up and add dressing as desired.
~ Delicious with strawberry, plum, raspberry or black currant preserves.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. cup up cold unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon peel
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or rub wit fingers until mixture resembles fine granules. Add sugar and mix.
- Add milk and stir with fork until soft dough forms. Shape dough into ball and gently knead on lightly floured board (10-12 kneads).
- Cut dough in half. Knead each half lightly into a ball an turn smooth side up. Pat or roll into a 6--inch circle. Cut each circle into 6-8 wedges. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, slightly apart for crisp edges or touching for soft sides.
- Combine 2 tsp. lemon juice with 2 Tbsp. sugar. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until medium brown on top. Place on dish towel over wire rack; cover loosely with cloth and cool completely before serving.