Wednesday, August 06, 2008

THE ESSENCE of SUMMER JOY ~ DAYLILIES & BLACKBERRIES / GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN with BLACKBERRY MUSTARD SAUCE

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart."

~ Early August Daylilies
______________
GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN with BLACKBERRY MUSTARD SAUCE
~ A Delicious taste of summer ... "It's the berries!"
(loosely adapted from August 1994 Cooking LIght)
____
2 (3/4 lb.) trimmed pork tenderloin
2 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. Coleman's dry mustard
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive
coarse salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup organic chicken stock, divided
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. dry white wine
1/2 cup Blackberry Mustard Sauce
1 tsp. chopped thyme
1 pint fresh blackberries
fresh thyme sprigs
  • Combine thyme, ginger, dry mustard, olive oil, salt & pepper. Rub into well trimmed pork. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
  • Light grill and prepare sauce. Add chicken broth and brown sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil and cook 5 minutes or until broth is reduced to 1/2 cup. Combine cornstarch and wine and whisk into broth mixture. Add Blackberry Mustard and bring to boil over medium heat, cooking 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove sauce from heat and add additional chopped thyme.
  • Grill pork over medium coals until meat thermometer registers 145-150 degrees, turning once during cooking period. Cover loosely and let rest 5 minutes before slicked into 1/2-3/4 inch thick medallions. Spoon 2 Tbsp. sauce on 6 serving plates and arrange pork slices on top of sauce. Top with blackberries and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. (6 servings)

BLACKBERRY MUSTARD

1 cup fresh blackberries

1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

3 Tbsp. honey

1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

1 tsp. Coleman's dry mustard

Process blackberries in food processor about 1 minute or until smooth. Strain and discard seeds. Combine blackberry puree, Dijon mustard and remaining ingredients and stir well. (Yield: 1 cup)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely daylilies.
Regards
Karen

joey said...

Thanks Karen ... we will be dreaming of these beauties come winter! So amazing what pops through frozen earth!

Jane O' said...

I typed a comment and I think I lost it! If this is a second one post whichever you like.
That collage is absolutely fantastic. And I love the last purple daylily. Spectacular!
I have all of the ingredients for the blueberry mustard. I plan to make it tonight. No pork loin in the house, but I do have butterfly chops. Maybe that will work.

joey said...

Hope you like the Blueberry Mustard, Jane Marie, which is also tasty on grilled chicken, turkey tenderoins, and salmon.

Unknown said...

Blackberry mustard sauce sounds delicious, joey. I bet it would be yummy as a spread on a summer sandwich, too. I think I'm out of dry mustard at the moment, though, so I'll have to remedy that before my blackberries are done yielding.

vermontflowerfarm@outlook.com said...

Hi Joey;

I journeyed out back yesterday to pick some berries in preparation for the mustard sauce. To buy a pint in the store here would almost require bank robbery, and at the local pick-your-own place they are $3.50 a pint. Anyway I drove down the logging road and parked the truck for the next quarter mile hike to a berry patch I like. Again, I had been beaten to the berries--this time by a black bear-y....or two or three. The patch was rolled over and not much left. The recipe will have to wait until this weekend.

Tomorrow I will treat myself to a stop at the King Arthur Flour (KingArhturFlour.com)kitchen store in Norwich, Vermont. It's close by where I'll be working for the day. It's a great place to spend a lot of money and buy fine quality tools for the kitchen, supplies, see demos, watch food prep videos. Scone pans is on my list.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
http://thevermontgardener.blogspot.com
Vermont Gardens
http://vermontgardens.blogspot.com
Vermont Flower Farm
http://vermontflowerfarm.com

joey said...

Good luck, Kim. I adore blackberries and wish I could grow them. You are one lucky girl to have them in your garden.

Delightful to hear from you George! Do you have a Costco near? That's where I find plentiful blackberries (that don't break the bank). Not as much fun as picking but ... Have fun shopping. I love scones. Any recipes to share?