Monday, December 08, 2008

'OLDIE BUT GOODIE' ~ CRANBERRY ORANGE TORTE

"Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas."
~ Peg Bracken
~ 'Oldie but Goodie'
(Cyclamen)
_____________________
CRANBERRY ORANGE TORTE
~ Old holiday favorite often shared as a gift for neighbors and friends
____________
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1 cup diced pitted dates
1 cup fresh whole cranberries
Grated rind of 2 oranges
2 beaten eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh orange juice
Whipped cream
  • In large bowl, combine flour, one cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in walnuts, dates, cranberries and orange rind, and toss until coated and separated.
  • In another small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and oil; beat well and add to dry mixture. Blend thoroughly and turn into greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees on hour or until cake tests done. Cool in pan until lukewarm. Invert onto large plate. Cool completely.
  • While cake is cooling, mix remaining cup sugar and orange juice in small saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly.
  • When cake is cool, prick top with time fork. Pour orange-sugar syrup over cake, letting excess drip onto plate underneath. Pour from plate back into saucepan and pour over cake again. Continue until cake absorbs all syrup. Remove cake to clean serving plate and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 24 hours before serving with whipped cream.(About 16 servings)
    Note: This excellent recipe was originally posted many years ago in the Detroit Free Press.

~ Reblooming cyclamen


10 comments:

beckie said...

Joey, I think Bracken's quote says almost everything about a Merry Christmas. She just needs to add family and friends!

Your cyclamen is still beautiful. You must have the perfect conditions in the sun room. The Cranberry Orange Torte has just been added to my list of holiday deserts! I am always looking for new 'sweets' to go along with the traditional pies and cakes. Not that any of us here need more deserts, but oh, how we love them.

joey said...

I agree, Beckie ~ Christmas IS family & friends. This hardy red cyclamen cutie is 2-3 years old. Once the weather warms in late spring, I vacation my cyclamens and orchids outside on the patio then bring them back inside once the weather cools. I'm so excited, one of my cymbidiums is sprouting hugs buds!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Those cyclamen are beautiful. That is my Dad's favorite indoor flower. He brought them to Mom often.
Marnie

Cindy said...

Cyclamens are so pretty. They are perfect for these gloomy, dark days.

Shady Gardener said...

Joey, What a beautiful cyclamen! I wonder if I (me!) could get one to bloom indoors? Thank you for the recipe. It sound delicious... I must try it! :-)

joey said...

Hi Marnie ~ cyclamens certainly make a statement! My taste runs very traditional but there is something about the bold color and leaves that, like your Dad, warms my soul.

Indeed, Cindy ~ cyclamens are perfect for lighting a dark corner.

Shady, you can do it! Enjoy one of my favorite holiday treats ...

Amy said...

What a gorgeous cyclamen. I had one once but unfortunately it didn't really thrive for me. Seeing your photo makes me want to try again.

Amy

joey said...

Hi Amy ~ they are not as thirsty as we often think ~ over-watering seems to be the 'the killer'!

Marysol said...

Joey, I love the Cyclamen and the quote. Which reminds me I have a few stockings to make. All I need is 3 more Marysols, and I may just fa la la la la, la la la la right through it.

joey said...

I have a feeling you'll breeze through the holidays, Marysol. Just keep singin'