GARDENING NOTE: As spring progresses, dig, divide and share crowded perennials that have spread beyond their allotted space. They will thank you by prolific performance in your garden as will the adopted plants in their new home.
~ very springlike and lemony
1 cup crushed shortbread cookies
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 (8-oz) packages softened cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
6 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 room temperature egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
sifted powdered sugar
fresh blackberry and raspberry garnish
fresh mint leaf garish
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and wrap outside with heavy foil.
- Combine crushed cookies and melted butter. Press into prepared pan.
- In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese till fluffy. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour and egg yolks; beat for 1 minute. Slowly add lemon juice, beating just until mixed. Wash beaters.
- In another bowl, beat eggs whites till foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites, cream of tartar, and lemon zest into egg yolk mixture by hand. Pour over crust, smoothing top if necessary.
- Place pan in shallow roasting pan on rack in oven. Pour about 1-inch of hot water around pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until top of cake had puffed and is golden. Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Don't worry if cheesecake sinks slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight. Before serving, run thin blade around edge to loosen. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh berries and mint. Dip knife in hot water before each slice.(12-16 servings)
Note: Can freeze up to 2 months Thaw overnight in refrigerator before serving.