By Ray Isle (Food & Wine 10/2003)
THAI PINEAPPLE SHRIMP
1 pound large shelled & deveined shrimp
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large minced cloves garlic
4 cups cooked rice
1 tsp. coriander seed
2 cups inch-long julienned slices fresh pineapple
1 large julienned sliced red pepper
2-3 Tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
6 diagonally sliced green onions
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, turmeric and water. Mix well and set aside. Pour over shrimp and marinate 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large heavy skillet or wok until hot but not smoking. Remove shrimp, reserving marinade. Carefully add shrimp and stir-fry about 2 minutes until pink and loose transparency. Remove from skillet.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet and heat. Add garlic and stir until golden. Add peppers and cook until briefly, heating through but still crisp. Add rice and stir 1 minute or until hot.
- Combine reserved soy marinade to rice and blend well. Add shrimp, coriander seed, pineapple, jalapeno pepper, and green onion.
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add flour and mix well. Stir in vanilla and coconut and mix until moistened. Form into 2-inch cylinders and wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 1 hour.
- Slice 1/4-inch thick and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 15-25 minutes. (6 dozen)