- Cook oysters in 3 cups of water until firm; drain liquid and keep it hot. Puree oysters in food processor.
- Cook spinach; drain well. Puree in food processor.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add onions & celery, stirring until translucent. Push onions & celery to one side of pan. Sprinkle flour over butter to make a paste. Pour in hot oyster liquid and lemon juice; whisk smooth. Simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain. Return to heat and simmer.
- Add pureed oysters & spinach to simmering liquid. Season with garlic powder, salt & pepper. Add milk & cream and simmer another 5-10 minutes (do not boil). Ladle into bowls and garnish with lemon zest. (12-16 servings)
FRESH FRUIT LEMON TRIFLE
~ lighter than traditional trifle & equally delicious in all seasons when fruit is flavorful
1 package frozen pound cake
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (8-oz) carton lemon yogurt
1 (8-oz) carton thawed Cool Whip
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries or blackberries
1 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup lightly toasted flaked coconut
or 1/2 cup lightly toasted slivered almonds
- Slice pound cake into bite-sized pieces.
- Combing condensed milk, lemon rind, lemon juice, and yogurt. Fold in 2 cups thawed Cool Whip; set aside
- Place 1/3 of cake in bottom of a 4-quart trifle bowl. Top with 1/3 lemon mixture and then strawberries.
- Repeat cake and lemon mixture and then blueberries or blackberries.
- Repeat last layer ending with raspberries. Spread with remaining remaining Cool Whip over raspberries. Sprinkle with coconut or almonds. Cover and refrigerate 8 hour or overnight. (16 servings)
Note: Feel free to lighten up further with low-fat sweetened condensed milk, yogurt, and reduced-fat Cool Whip.